Each week, we will be taking an in depth look at some of the best sitcoms and comedy shows from both the UK and the USA.
Today we will be looking at a comedy that ran for two seasons but had a great audience following – Phoenix Nights
Opening title Sequence / Theme Tune
About the Show
Summary of Plot
The misadventures of club owner Brian Potter who is determined to make The Phoenix Club the best working men’s club in Greater Manchester.- IMDb
Number of Seasons / Episodes
Peter Kay – Brian Potter, Max, Paul Le Roy
Dave Spikey – Jerry Dignan
Justin Moorhouse – Young Kenny
Paddy McGuinness – Paddy
Archie Kelly – Kenny Senior
- The characters from Phoenix Nights first appeared in the pilot episode of That Peter Kay Thing (2000), however the club in that episode was called the Neptune Club, which burnt down at the end of the episode. When Peter Kay was approached to come up with an idea for a sitcom, he brought the characters back feeling that he could expand them and give them more depth and he also gave them a new club.
- Nearly all the scenes throughout both series (including when the bouncers went to France) are filmed in or around Bolton.
- The series was filmed in a real club in Bolton.
- The scene in which Keith Lard and Brian are together in shot in Episode 1.3 is the first time two of Peter Kay’s characters are seen on screen in the same shot, when both are played by Peter Kay (rather than using stand ins in one of the roles).
- Bullseye presenter Jim Bowen made a guest appearance in series 2. Dave Spikey, who played Jerry St. Claire, later went on to present the 2006 Bullseye revival.